A Request for Help with a Micro

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

A Request for Help with a Micro

Post by melbellingham »

On 01/02/2022 I recorded the gelechiid Carpatolechia decorella.
Carpatolechia decorella
Carpatolechia decorella
Carpatolechia decorella - 2022 02 01 (b).jpg
This species first appeared in my garden in 2011 when it was determined by dissection (MD).
It next appeared in 2016 and was determined by dissection (SHH).

Following on from there I have recorded it every year since, with most if not all images posted on the forum.
NB. See link for further info.

https://www.record-lrc.co.uk/forum/view ... lla#p10638

On 03/02/2022 I recorded what I thought to be another C. decorella, but each time I looked at the images of this individual I had doubts.
C. decorella, Exoteleia dodecella or other
If I have the family right and this moth is a gelechiid, there are not too many confusion species to consider.

The Gelechid Recording Scheme website gives only 2 other Gelechid species that hibernate (Caryocolum junctella and Exoteleia dodecella) and I wonder now whether my moth is the latter of the two. The wing length of approx. 7mm would also fit.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mel.
Last edited by melbellingham on Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulHopkins

Re: A Request for Help with a Micro

Post by PaulHopkins »

I can't answer your question Mel, but for what it's worth I had a similar conundrum the following evening when this very worn character came to my trap. I settled on a probable C. decorella, a species I've been getting recently too - I didn't even consider E. dodecella, though I suppose it's a possibility.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
gelechiidae4 (2).jpg
gelechiidae3 (2).jpg
gelechiidae2 (2).jpg
gelechiidae1 (2).jpg
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Mel, Paul

I'm sure you are both correct with Carpatolechia decorella. Incidentally, the county stronghold for C. decorella appears to be in your two gardens, which have produced 13 of the last 15 records.

It's not Exoteleia dodecella, as that shows broad bands across the wings even when worn and the black marks are spots rather than streaks.

Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your comments. I have indicated you as determiner for the record (03/02/2022), with the comment ''identified from photo on the forum''.

As the larvae of Carpatolechia decorella feed on oaks, I suspect the species is a lot more common than records suggest. All of my records except one, have been made in the early months (after hibernation) so most recorders will not have started recording yet. My only summer record came last July.

Thanks again,

Mel.