An Unexpected Record

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

An Unexpected Record

Post by melbellingham »

It is always good to record a new species for the garden, and I suppose most recorders are always hoping to find one in the trap.

We read about the species others are catching and then assess how close it was from our sites and the chances that we might also get one soon.

There are some moths though that are quite common in certain habitats, which we don’t ever expect to record in our gardens.

When I checked around my trap last night (22/03/2022) there were several species resting on the wall or the trap. All were species that I have been recording lately, so I was very pleased this morning as I approached the trap, as the first moth I found on the wall was a new species. It was also a moth I never expected in the garden.

Yellow Horned is a species I have seen many times on sites such as Delamere, Little Budworth CP. and a few other sites, away from Cheshire, where birch trees are abundant.

I did plant 2 small Silver and 1 small Downy Birch trees to my garden (several years ago) and my neighbour has one in his garden, but the nearest site to me that has many birch trees is Rivacre Valley LNR.

Just shows that there is always an outside chance of surprises.
Yellow Horned - 22/03/2022
Yellow Horned - 22/03/2022
Yellow Horned - 2022 03 22 (b).jpg
Mel.
PaulHopkins

Re: An Unexpected Record

Post by PaulHopkins »

Nice record Mel. I took an impromptu day off work today since it was such a nice day; I've been peering at lots of birch trunks on Thurstaston Common hoping to find this species - no joy :(

Paul
stevehind

Re: An Unexpected Record

Post by stevehind »

Looks like a few moths were dispersing last night as I also had a new species in the garden with this Acleris literana. It started to re-colonise Cheshire in 2015 and looks to have now spread out across the county.
Attachments
Acleris literana - Higher Poynton - 22/3/2022
Acleris literana - Higher Poynton - 22/3/2022