Best Night of the Year and another New Garden Record

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Best Night of the Year and another New Garden Record

Post by melbellingham »

Last night (16/06/2022 min temp 17.4 deg. C) was my best night of the year and probably better than any in the last two years. It also brought my fifth new garden macro species of the year.

The previous two mornings I had found wings from moths that birds had predated but did not find any on the wall adjacent to the trap. So, last night I set my timer to switch off at 3.30am (while still dark) and to do an early inspection just prior to switch off, if I was awake.

This morning I was at the trap at 3.15am and the first moth I found was my new species. A Scarlet Tiger was on the wall along with about 8 other species. The moths in the trap were very mobile, so I blocked the funnel, and set about collecting a few moths to inspect later.

I was back at the trap at 6.00am but many of the moths were still active, so I left it for a while hoping they would settle. Most did but I still lost a few when I opened it.

However, with a Scarlet Tiger resting in the fridge, I did not really care. :)

The final count was 62 species, which included a nice selection of FFY species, some of which I had not recorded for many years.

Macro’s – Magpie Moth, Small Dusty Wave (6), Foxglove Pug (3), Middle-barred Minor (3), Yellow Shell, Poplar Grey, Barred Yellow, Double Square-spot (2), Mottled Beauty (4), Setaceous Hebrew Character (2), Purple Clay, Common Emerald (2) and Small Angle Shades (2).

Micro’s – Pseudargyrotoza conwagana, Large Fruit-tree Tortrix, Argyresthia bonnetella, Anania coronata, Zeiraphera isertana, with possibly Tischeria ekebladella and Bucculatrix ulmella.

I know Scarlet Tiger is now recorded at Burton Mere Wetlands, but I just wonder where mine came from.
Scarlet Tiger - 16/06/2022
Scarlet Tiger - 16/06/2022
Mel.