Recent Highlights

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Recent Highlights

Post by melbellingham »

The last two nights have seen many more species than I would normally record, with over 70 species both nights. Unlike some recorders, I do not normally get above 50 species very often.

I still have a few to ID, including one very small Agonopterix sp. Any offers appreciated.
Agonopterix sp ???
Agonopterix sp ???
Last year I recorded 3 Box-tree moths, but on 18/07/2022 I recorded 3 more. One was found on the buddleia and two were in the trap. One of those was far too quick for me and it escaped before I even had a pot in my hand.
Box-tree Moth 18/7/22 (1)
Box-tree Moth 18/7/22 (1)
Box-tree Moth 18/7/22 (2)
Box-tree Moth 18/7/22 (2)
Last night 19/07/2022 I recorded 3 more all in the trap. By photographing those that did not escape I can see that I recorded at least 5 different individuals. There must be a reasonable number now in this area.
Box-tree Moth 19/7/22 (1)
Box-tree Moth 19/7/22 (1)
Box-tree Moth 19/7/22 (2)
Box-tree Moth 19/7/22 (2)
Box-tree Moth 19/7/22 (3)
Box-tree Moth 19/7/22 (3)
Also, last night while checking the buddleia I found an early Red Underwing nectaring. It was just out of reach and I lost it with a clumsy attempt to pot it.

In June I recorded a Scarlet Tiger (NFG) and yesterday, while trying to rescue one of my Honeysuckle plants, which was showing signs of neglect, I flushed another. Unfortunately, I only saw it in flight, before it disappeared.
Mel.
PaulHopkins

Re: Recent Highlights

Post by PaulHopkins »

melbellingham wrote: I still have a few to ID, including one very small Agonopterix sp. Any offers appreciated.
Snap! I had mine (from 18/7/22) down as A. angelicella, what do you reckon?

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
Agonopterix angelicella
Agonopterix angelicella
melbellingham

Re: Recent Highlights

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Paul,

Agonopterix angelicella looks good. I kept the moth alive in case it needed dissection, but the recording requirement is only a good photo.

Thanks for the information.

Mel.