Parornix fagivora On Beech ???

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

On Friday (2nd September 2011) I was in Sankey Valley Park in Warrington (in a lane called Bewsey Farm Close (SJ590895)). In the hedge were a number of Beech (Fagus sylvatica) trees and amidst the many Phyll. maestingella mines were a couple of mines which looked odd (i.e. as in I had not seen before) - blister type mines but networked within the mine area (presumably the leaf cell walls which had not been eaten ??).

On checking various publications and websites (e.g. British Leafminers, etc.) the only thing I kept coming up with was Parornix fagivora. However, as this (according to the records I have access to) has not been recorded in Cheshire or in the Warrington area it made me a little hesitant. Has it been recorded in Cheshire or the rECOrd area ?

Many thanks.

Steve

Attachments
Parornix fagivora mine<br />on Beech leaf ??? <br />A Query !
Parornix fagivora mine
on Beech leaf ???
A Query !
stevehind

Re: Parornix fagivora On Beech ???

Post by stevehind »

Parornix fagivora has not been found this far north yet, see the national distribution map on http://www.leafmines.co.uk/html/Lepidop ... amapvc.htm

Cheshire records are sent annually to this scheme so they will be only a year out at the most.

I reckon your mine is a very old Phyllonorycter maestingella.

Steve

SteveMcBill

Re: Parornix fagivora On Beech ???

Post by SteveMcBill »

OK Steve - thanks for that.

Maybe in a couple of years time !!

Steve