Coleophora cases anyone...?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Coleophora cases anyone...?

Post by SteveH »

Anyone care to offer up what these may be?

They are on Italian Alder (Alnus cordata).

There was also a leaf mine of the Sawfly Heterarthrus vagans on the same tree, which if RECORD is up to date... suggests it to be quite a rare beast in west Cheshire. I could only find two previous records since 1980.

Thanks

Steve

Attachments
P1130284.JPG
P1130281.JPG
P1130273.JPG
SteveMcBill

Re: Coleophora cases anyone...?

Post by SteveMcBill »

Steve,

I had the sawfly Heterarthrus vagans mines on Italian Alder (Alnus cordata) at Spike Island in Widnes last week. I photographed both dorsal and ventral views of the larvae so can be certain of the identification (done to ensure it wasn't Fenusa dorhnii). It is not Cheshire but is within the rECOrd boundary. These mines did not show the Heterarthrus circular pupation pod so obviously the larvae were not ready to pupate as yet.

I also had H.vagans on Italian Alder a few years ago at Ness Gardens on the Wirral. This one should be in the rECOrd dataset. The mine on this occasion did show the circular pupation pod.

Steve

Attachments
Ventral view of Heterarthrus vagans larva
Ventral view of Heterarthrus vagans larva
Dorsal view of Heterarthrus vagans larva
Dorsal view of Heterarthrus vagans larva
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Steve,

The only records Record could come up with for the west of the county since 1980 were from Frodsham and from what looks to be around New Brighton from the distribution map..

Steve

flixtonpatch2010

Post by flixtonpatch2010 »

My thoughts on the Coleophora cases are Coleophora binderella and Coleophora serratella.

Kevin

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thanks Kevin.

I think the jury is still out on seratella... and the other is a toss up between binderella and orbitella.

Steve