Another Out of Season Moth (Common Quaker)

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Another Out of Season Moth (Common Quaker)

Post by melbellingham »

Another Out of Season Moth - Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi):

On 19.11.2011 I recorded Dark Arches (Apamea monoglypha) at my garden moth trap. I have since learned that one was also caught in East Sussex on 21.11.2011.

Last night (23.11.2011) the temperature at dusk was almost 12 deg C, so I put out an Actinic light trap. I left it out for 5 hours and found two moths when checking to see if I had caught anything. A December moth (Poecilocampa populi) was no surprise, but a Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi) was !! The photo does not show that it was slightly smaller than the usual sized specimens that I catch in the normal flight period of March to May/June.

Martin Townsend and Paul Waring, in their book Moths of Great Britain and Ireland state that they are sometimes seen 'in mild spells in late autumn and winter'. Having had a quick look at the Mapmate Database, I cannot find any other such records for Cheshire.

Mel.

Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi)<br />23rd November 2011
Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi)
23rd November 2011
[/color]
PaulMartinHill

Re: Another Out of Season Moth (Common Quaker)

Post by PaulMartinHill »

We've had a Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi) at Marbury this week and also a Pale Brindled Beauty (Phigalia pilosaria) !!

Paul

PaulMartinHill

Re: Another Out of Season Moth (Common Quaker)

Post by PaulMartinHill »

Had another early Pale Brindled Beauty last night, this time in the garden (and kitchen when I opened the door :D )

Paul