Winter Moth (Operophtera brumata)

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Winter Moth (Operophtera brumata)

Post by melbellingham »

Winter Moth (Operophtera brumata):

In my garden at least Winter Moth (Operophtera brumata) seems to be having another good year. Between 2003 and 2010 I recorded 42, with 20 coming in 2010. This year I have recorded 44 including 9 on 22.12.2011 attracted to actinic light. The catch also included 4 December Moths (Poecilocampa populi) and 1 Scarce Umber (Agriopis aurantiaria). Three December Moths were actually in the trap, all of the others were sitting on nearby surfaces or plants.

Last night 23.12.2011 the temperature at 1700hrs. was 11.9 deg C, so I put the trap out for a few hours. It was quite breezy in my garden, but I was surprised that I could find no moths at 2300hrs. when putting the trap away. If I had found one or two moths, I probably would not have looked as closely as I did, but I eventually found what I have identified as a female Winter Moth (Operophtera brumata) which had climbed to a height of about 1.5 metres up a wall. The nearest vegetation being about 2 metres away.

Not an impressive list of moths, but this is the first female I have found.

Best Wishes,

Mel.

Attachments
Winter Moth (Operophtera brumata) female