Early Season Pug

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Early Season Pug

Post by melbellingham »

Early Season Pug:

With the temperature at dusk about 10 deg C, I decided to put my Actinic trap out. I checked the trap several times during the evening and found 1 Winter Moth (Operophtera brumata) close to my trap. Later, at about 10.30pm, I again checked the trap for moths. I found 4 Chestnut (Conistra vaccinii), 1 Light Brown Apple Moth (Epiphyas postvittana) and 1 Ypsolopha ustella in the trap and a dreaded Pug close by. As I potted it up, I thought that it might be Common Pug (Eupithecia vulgata), but soon remembered that the flight period is May onwards.

Normally the first Pugs that I record in my garden are Brindled Pug (Eupithecia abbreviata) in March or April, followed By Oak-tree Pug (Eupithecia dodoneata) and Double-striped Pug (Gymnoscelis rufifasciata). This moth however did not look like either of those three species to me, and having photographed it I am still unsure. I would be grateful therefore for any comments or help.

Why do I hate catching Pugs?

Mel.

An early season Pug.
An early season Pug.
SteveH

Re: Early Season Pug

Post by SteveH »

Hi Mel,

You are not the only one that hates catching pugs ... About 60% of everything we get here in Elton is beyond identification on external features as they are all melanic forms.

The first one we get is always Double-striped Pug (Gymnoscelis rufifasciata).

Cheers,
Steve

melbellingham

Re: Early Season Pug

Post by melbellingham »

I do not normally kill moths to determine their identification, but I kept this one in the fridge for a couple of days and unfortunately it did not survive. I felt therefore, that I should pursue the correct identification, which has now been confirmed through genitalia determination by Mike Dale.

The moth was a male Common Pug (Eupithecia vulgata).

Mel.