Up and Running...

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Up and Running...

Post by SteveH »

Up and Running...:

Hi folks,

Moth trapping in our Elton Garden last night produced what was probably the best ever returns for any March session since we began some 20 years ago. With our 7th ever Satellite, and 6th ever Twin-spot Quaker, the signs were good even before I turned over an egg-box to reveal a dark form of our first ever Diurnea fagella and thereafter found another first, an Oak Beauty, perched up on the kitchen wall. All in all, 26 moths of 10 species.

I'd never previously seen an adult Diurnea fagella in Cheshire, and have only seen three or four ever (all in Scotland years ago) and was completely undone by it, so thanks go to Steve Hind for the ID.

Cheers,
Steve

PaulMartinHill

Re: Up and running...

Post by PaulMartinHill »

It's interesting comparing your recent catches from those at Marbury Steve. As we've discussed on this forum before, your catching area (i.e. garden) is much less than ours at Marbury, even though the moth trap is run in the Ranger's yard and is surrounded by portacabins, worksheds and tractors. We've had Satellite virtually every night for the last few weeks - sometimes six or seven a night and similar catches of Twin-spot Quaker as well. It's easy to become complacent with what can be a common moth in one's own trap, yet for some-one else it is a major event.

The other interesting factor is that your species list for the garden I don't think is much different to that for Marbury if I remember correctly.

Cheers

Paul

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thats what makes mothing the more interesting Paul.

Other examples where 'common' really means 'relatively common' are the micros Phtheochroa rugosana and Argyresthia cupressella, both of which are now 'relatively common' with us when the time comes. There was another example yesterday, when I found a Double-striped Pug in SJ4473 - turns out its a first ever record for the tetrad SJ47L, as was an Emmelina monodactyla in SJ4575 a couple of days earlier for SJ47M (away from our garden, where its again relatively common). Both species would be considered 'common', if not 'very common'. In both cases, discovery was by happy accident as previous coverage of the respective areas was surely zero.

Cheers,
Steve

PaulMartinHill

Post by PaulMartinHill »

We are still missing certain "relatively common" macro's from Marbury, and I really must take more notice of the micros!!

Paul

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Friday night was also my best night of the year with 33 moths of 10 species, including 2 Pine Beauty; first time I’ve had two in one night, I usually only get one per annum; also 7 Oak Beauty; there has been a big increase here in the past few years; also a Yellow Horned.

Many more moths last night, 94 of 15 species, including 30 Common & 34 Small Quakers. Numbers of Small Quakers have increased here in recent years. I used to only catch single figures during the season but in 2009 the catch reached 53, increasing to 117 in 2010 and 324 last spring.

Regards
Steve

PaulMartinHill

Post by PaulMartinHill »

We had a similar experience at Marbury this morning - 177 Small Quaker, 50 or so Common Quaker, 15 Twin-spot Quaker, 6 Clouded Drab, 6 Hebrew Character, 9 Oak Beauty, a couple of Dotted Border and a single Satellite

Cheers,

Paul

SteveCollins

Post by SteveCollins »

Hi.

Have just moved to Lower Peover from Rochdale and finally found my way to the site.

Interested in most aspects of wildlife but limited time. Birdwatching mainly with interests in fungi and moths. I do have a Skinner Actinic Trap and used to trap in my Rochdale garden, but March would very often only produce none or a single moth.

I thought I would give it a try on Saturday and was astonished to have at least 100 moths in the trap. Mainly Small Quaker, but also Common Quaker, Clouded Drab, Hebrew Character,Twin-spotted Quaker, Dotted Border, March Moth, Oak Beauty, Pale Brindled Beauty and Shoulder Stripe. The last 4 being new species for me!
I certainly wasn't ready for it having no time for photos and not able to trap again until weekend. I will
be trapping again so hopefully will be able to contribute to the forum in future.

Incidentally are there any bird group forums on-line for local sightings to me or the Marbury / Ashtons / Neumans Flash areas? I am already a member of CAWOS but there doesn't seem to be a forum attached to the society.

Cheers,
Steve Collins

Last edited by SteveCollins on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Paul,

Nice catch! We don't get treble figures of individuals until about June here in Elton, so I'm a little envious!

As for your birding, there are a number of active folk that cover your listed areas really well, though I'm thinking that Paul Hill is better placed to answer your queries on getting information - you can of course submit anything through this site (RODIS) and there is a bird forum here too, though its not that well used.

Cheers,
Steve

PaulMartinHill

Post by PaulMartinHill »

Hi Steve,

Most of the regular birders who watch the Marbury area use the Focalpoint Optics forum, which has a dedicated thread for the area. http://www.focalpointoptics.com/forums/index.php to register and find it.

I operate a moth trap at Marbury nightly, although it isn't always me that checks it. You (and anyone else) are welcome to come and have a look through the trap with me at a weekend, just PM to make sure I'll be there!! The trap is operated jointly with the Rangers and one of the volunteers - they go through the trap if I can't get in due to work commitments.

Cheers

Paul

P.S.: Welcome to the area and the Forum

SteveCollins

Re: Up and Running...

Post by SteveCollins »

Many thanks for the replies and will follow up the link.

I will probably mainly trap at weekends so hope to post results soon!

Cheers
Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Small Quaker (Orthosia cruda) numbers continue to increase in the garden trap, there were 89 this morning, easily passing my previous nightly record of 50 achieved last March.

Regards,
Steve

PaulMartinHill

Post by PaulMartinHill »

I didn't check the trap at Marbury this morning - but Sunday night's catch of Small Quaker (Orthosia cruda) was just 3 short of the 200 mark!!

Paul