Numbers more familiar to me!

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveCollins

Post by SteveCollins »

After bring surprised by the big numbers of moths in early March, I had the trap out last night and managed 2 moths, which was very much the norm in Rochdale.

What was nice though was along with an Early Grey was a Lunar Marbled Brown, which is a new moth to me! So, even the small catches can be as good!

Since my last post the only additional species to the garden, apart from last night, was an Early Thorn and a single Pug to which I couldn't give an ID, which again I am used to!

With regards to my other interests, I've registered with Focalpoint for the Marbury Patch, joined FOAM and got my car-park pass for Marbury and Anderton!

All I need now is the time to get out there!

Cheers
Steve

SteveH

Re: Numbers more familiar to me!

Post by SteveH »

Hi Steve,

Nice to hear someone else that is "enjoying numbers"! Our last two sessions produced two moths and three moths respectively, all of which were either Clouded Drabs or Common Quakers. Its this more traditional norm for us in March that has seen us only trap once in a while during the month. This year was quite the exception to the rule however with a handful of new garden species (five in just over a week would be extraordinary at any time of the year so for March it was...spectacular!). If you take into account that our garden list is 627, that adds a little more perspective. Lunar Marbled Brown would, however, be new, so its another example of quality over quantity.

Cheers,
Steve

SteveH

Re: Numbers more familiar to me!

Post by SteveH »

Folks,

Just to emphasise the normality of almost zero catches; last night produced another whopping two species here in Elton... and two moths; singles of Powdered Quaker and Early Grey.

Cheers,
Steve