Struggling with another micro

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Struggling with another micro

Post by melbellingham »

Struggling with another micro:

Very poor result for Garden Moth scheme last night with 1 Brindled Pug, 2 Hebrew Characters and 1 Clouded Drab.

However, earlier in the day I found a micro on a window. I could not identify it (nothing new there) so I tried to photograph it. It is about 8-9 mm nose to tail, giving a wingspan of 15-16 mm. Looking through UK Moths for obvious features, size, flight period and food plant I found what I thought it was. It looked like 1227 Pammene giganteana and I was convinced until I checked the Cheshire status on Mapmate. This tells me that giganteana is not a common moth in Cheshire, so as usual I am not sure. Perhaps it is known to someone else. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Mel.

06 04 2012 (a).jpg
06 04 2012 (d).jpg
06 04 2012 (e).jpg
SteveH

Re: Struggling with another micro

Post by SteveH »

Hi Mel,

I think you've got it right. I also think its nearer to 8mm long than 9, so this would make the wingspan closer to 15mm, which fits well.

As for concerns over the known distribution and or number of records for micros in Cheshire, I'd not worry too much. Truth is that there aren't that many mothers 'into' micros in the County and we can only consider the status of many species sketchy at best.

Cheers,
Steve

melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Thanks Steve.

I understand your point about the number of micro's and recorders, but it does add to the difficulty.
If the moth was common, I would have felt much more confident with my identification.

Mel.

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Mel,

I'm hoping that some of the stuff being recorded thinly turns out to be common as there's some nice things being found that I'd be more than happy seeing in my own back yard :-)

Rubbish again last night.... two moths and a bee !

Cheers,
Steve