Oh good grief...

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Oh good grief...

Post by SteveH »

Oh good grief...:

Hi folks...

After 10 days of not trapping (due to monsoons, ice-ages and the like) I finally put the trap on again last night, eagerly looking forward to seeing what would be in this morning.

Surprise surprise... - nothing at all !!

One Epiphyas postvittana was perched up on the wall to prevent a complete blank... how is anyone else doing?

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Re: Oh good grief...

Post by stevehind »

Ran the trap on Friday for the GMS and had 18 moths of 8 species, although Saturday night produced only 8 of 3 species, so didn't trap last night. The highlight on Friday was a Red Sword-grass, a species which is on the increase.

I first caught one in my garden in 2006 and I’ve now had a dozen. I’ve attached a photo of one which Roger Benson had in his Shavington garden this time last year on the same night as a Mullein.

Regards,
Steve

Attachments
Mullein & Red Sword-grass at Shavington 24.4.2011
Mullein & Red Sword-grass at Shavington 24.4.2011
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Unable to run my trap on Friday evening, I chose Thursday for my Garden Moth Scheme trapping. Result was 3 Hebrew Characters.

Last night I had 2 moths of 2 species, Hebrew Character and Clouded Drab.

Friday night was spent at Bettisfield Moss with friends. 13 traps produced 72 moths of 13 species, however this total will rise slightly as all results have not yet been added to the list. The target was Lead-coloured Drab, which did not appear. The temperature went to 0.1 deg C during the evening, so it was not the best of nights.

Saturday night I went to Catherton Common in Shropshire with a couple of local moth-ers. This was in the hope of seeing Northern Drab, which was not seen. 5 traps produced 10 moths of 5 species. It was cold, extremely windy with very little shelter.

It is not just moth-ers in Cheshire that are struggling to catch.

Cheers,
Mel.

bungled

Post by bungled »

Hi all,

Yes its dire isnt it ? Running two MVs in Cheadle Hulme at separate locations and the best catch in the last week has been three moths ! A slight improvement last night with Yellow-barred Brindle and Oak-tree Pug among FOUR moths ! A friend in Oxford tells a similar story this week. Traps to the charity shop or give it another week ?

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Folks,

I had a chance meeting with Rog Wilkinson at Marbury last night (watching Black, Common and Arctic Terns, lots of hirundines and even a couple of early Swifts...in the rain) - he reported similar catches from a number of trapping session on the outskirts of Chester.. single moths of single species in the main.

Cheers,
Steve