Zero...

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Zero...

Post by SteveH »

Hi folks,

had the trap on last night in our Elton garden.. though had I known then what I knew first thing this morning I'd have saved the electricity!

Catch: absolutely nothing at all, not in the trap nor perched up around it... very sad state of affairs for mid May. From our recording perspecive, we are in week 14, and over the years we have trapped, this week has produced a total of 24 species. Its never a spectacular time of year, but its usually better than this!

Following on from our best ever March (20 species) April produced a grand total of four, none of which were new for the year and May has yet to contribute at all. In contrast, during our best ever year (2011), the monthly figures for the same three months were: 11 species, 22 and 94. At the end of May 2011 we had recorded 104, so with three weeks to recover, we are a small matter of 84 species down, though the average May produces 45.

On a brighter note, was nice to see a number of dancing Adela reaumurella yesterday when out on my local patch...

Cheers,
Steve
bungled

Re: Zero...

Post by bungled »

Hi all,

Same sad story here in Cheadle Hulme. Two MV traps a mile apart held one Hebrew character and nothing this morning. Only one moth yesterday but it was an Oak Nycteoline.

Caught a Silver Y last week and had to have a sit down !

Cheers,
Geoff.

SteveCollins

Post by SteveCollins »

Same story in Lower Peover. Nothing new in over a month.
Highest count is 2 but more usual is zero too!
Here's hoping it's the calm before the storm!
Steve
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Just two Hebrew Characters here at Higher Poynton for the Garden Moth Survey on Friday night. The previous night was much warmer and produced Flame Carpet, Small Phoenix, Hebrew Character, 2 Eriocrania subpurpurella, 2 Endrosis sarcitrella but best of all a male Incurvaria masculella.

Spent the morning at nearby Jacksons Brickworks, where Micropterix calthella was feeding in the flowers of Creeping Buttercup as well as sedges. Those on sedges were covered in pollen. Eriocrania unimaculella mines were common on birch, as was the larvae of Coleophora serratella. Also found a Northern Winter Moth larva on birch and vacated mines of Mompha locupletella on Willowherb.

Regards,
Steve

Attachments
Micropterix calthella on Creeping Buttercup
Micropterix calthella on Creeping Buttercup
Micropterix calthella on sedge
Micropterix calthella on sedge
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Micropterix calthella has been abundant this week. I've counted 610 in Creeping Buttercup flowers, 461 on Wood Sedge and 45 on Drooping Sedge on my local walks.

Regards,
Steve

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Amazing numbers Steve ..... exactly 1,116 more than I found locally!

Cheers,
Steve