Another larva

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Another larva

Post by SteveH »

Another larva:

Hi Folks,

On my walk today I found a few species of moth (certainly more than I've been trapping in the last few weeks! Included amongst them was the larva (which is a shade under 3cms long) in the attached photo. It is on White Poplar, which in theory narrows it down to about 15 species. Alas, I can't fit it to any of them!

Amongst those I did identify: Silver-ground, Common and Flame Carpets, Ancylis badiana, Aspilapteryx tringipennella, Cydia ulicetana (succedana) and tenanted mines of Eriocrania subpurpurella. In this weirdo spring, the first Banded Demoiselles were on the wing to-day, about a week earlier than I'd normally expect to see them.

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments
Winter Moth larva SJ4275 20-05-2012
Winter Moth larva SJ4275 20-05-2012
Last edited by SteveH on Sun May 20, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
stevehind

Re: Another larva

Post by stevehind »

Hi Steve,

The Winter Moth (Operophtera brumata) is abundant right now and feeds on most trees and shrubs

Regards,
Steve

SteveH

Re: Another larva

Post by SteveH »

Many thanks Steve,

Thats two new species for my local patch (excluding things in our garden) and a second ever record in one day! The two new being Flame Carpet and Cydia ulicetana.

For an insignificant looking area of Cheshire, and without any light trapping sessions having been carried out, 237 species for the patch I cover is quite remarkable in my view. There have been two concerted leaf-mining sessions with yourself that helped of course! So, if our garden and my local patch lists are combined, the total for our part of SJ47 rises to 705!

Cheers,
Steve