Triple-spotted Clay (Xestia ditrapezium) ?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
andyfirth

Post by andyfirth »

I would appreciate opinion on the attached image, I am pretty sure it is a Triple-spotted Clay (Xestia ditrapezium). Much darker and with paler hind wing than any of the Double-square Spot's (Xestia triangulum) I have trapped, but would be a new one for me. Thanks.

Andy

SteveH

Re: Triple-spotted Clay ?

Post by SteveH »

Hi Andy,

Ugh ..... Triple-spotted Clay and Double Square-spot ..... nightmare!

I am with you on this one though - I too think its TSC. It has a nice (to my eyes) purply tinge and the head is neither broad nor sports pale sides. This duo are the source of much debate however and depending on your perspective can only be done on genitalia.

Take a squint at:

http://trappingsofsuccess.blogspot.co.u ... otted.html

... it sheds considerable light on the whole shady subject .... yet may cloud the issue in the process!

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Andy,

I am not sure about this one. It does have a violet tinge but the Triple-spotted Clays I have seen in recent years from Delamere Forest & Leighton Moss have all been dark purple and at rest they have a different jizz. Their wings are narrower, with a more parallel stance.

I would be careful when using photos on the web. Both specimens on the blog Steve Holmes has directed you to appear to be Double Square-spots to me.

Steve

Attachments
Triple-spotted Clay at Delamere Forest - 22.6.2009
Triple-spotted Clay at Delamere Forest - 22.6.2009
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Brian Hancock has kindly allowed me to upload his photo of two Double Square-spots on either side of a Triple-spotted Clay from moths caught yesterday at Leighton Moss. It illustrates the difference in posture between the two species.

Steve

Attachments
Triple-spotted Clay flanked by Double Square-spots, Leighton Moss 1.7.2012 B Hancock
Triple-spotted Clay flanked by Double Square-spots, Leighton Moss 1.7.2012 B Hancock
andyfirth

Post by andyfirth »

Gents, thanks for the responses. Just for further comparison, I have attached an image of a Double Square-spot I trapped previously compared with the moth in question. I have trapped 160 Double Square-spot's since starting and can't help but feel this individual was so different it leaped out at me straight away (a 'you know when you see one' feeling). Having said that, I know it is never that easy but it does leave me thinking would I pick a Triple-spotted Clay if this isn't one :( . Not sure about the posture thing though as the Double Square-spot below shows the posture of the Leighton Moss Triple-spotted Clay. Thanks again.

Double Square Spot.JPG
DSCN0214.JPG
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Andy,

You had the advantage of seeing the actual specimen. In many cases it is possible to confirm/determine a species from a photo but not always and this is one of the cases where I can't be sure which species it is simply by looking at your photo.

Here is another picture of Brian Hancock's from last night's catch showing the colour differences better.

Steve

Attachments
Triple-spotted Clay bottom right
Triple-spotted Clay bottom right
andyfirth

Re: Triple-spotted Clay (Xestia ditrapezium) ?

Post by andyfirth »

Thanks Steve I'll put it in the not proven folder and keep looking.

Regards,
Andy