Another Micro, possibly Nemaxera betulinella.

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Another Micro, possibly Nemaxera betulinella.

Post by melbellingham »

Another Micro, possibly Nemaxera betulinella:

Away from home during the recent warm nights, I seem to have missed another moth bonanza. Since my return I have only managed a maximum of 26 macro's (which is well down on previous years at this time of year) and 22 micro's.

As a result I am looking more closely at the micro's. This one was caught before my trip, but I have only just decided on an identification. A quick look at the Mapmate database has again made me suspicious of my ID as there are very few records, especially in the west of the county. I would value the expertise and experience of anyone who might be able to make a comment.

Mel.
Nemaxera betulinella ?
Nemaxera betulinella ?
Nemaxera betulinella ?
Nemaxera betulinella ?
SteveH

Re: Another Micro, possibly Nemaxera betulinella.

Post by SteveH »

Nice one Mel.

I'd agree with your diagnosis. I'd also agree about lack of moths ...... late July and struggling to get more than 30 species of a night is dismal. Have you had Light Arches yet? Seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet ......

Cheers,

Steve

melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Thanks Steve, always nice to get one right.

I have recorded Light Arches (Apamea lithoxylaea) this year, and I have 5 records of 6 moths.
My most recent record was 28/07/2012.

Must be having a better time of it in the west of the county.

Mel.

RayBertera

Post by RayBertera »

Hi Steve,

Here at Frodsham I had Light Arches (Apamea lithoxylaea) in my trap on 3 nights in the second week of July. Before that I hadn't seen it since 2009 and thought I'd lost it.

Regards,

Ray

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Ray, Mel,

Well .... we are between you two guys (who are both catching Light Arches) and have had exactly none!

In the last couple of years we've had 35 (2010) and 21 (2011). The least in any one year is four in 2005, and the most was 77 in 1997 ..... For us the peak in numbers is during the first four weeks of July, so its downhill from here and we only have one record beyond the first week in August. Looking grim.

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Just the three Light Arches for me but that’s above average for Higher Poynton, as I’ve never had more than five in any year.

Catches also abysmal with only 37 moths of 21 species last night, although I’m kind of glad as it gives me chance to rest and catch up after last weeks haul:

21.7- 260 moths of 84 species in the garden, included Epinotia nanana
22.7- 223 of 71; highlight my second Batia lunaris
23.7- 380+ of 100+
24.7- 335 of 100, my gardens first Scallop Shell (Rheumaptera undulata), also ran a trap at a garden in Poynton 478 of 99, included six Batia lunaris, Batia unitella new to SJ98, three Grapholita janthinana, Magpie Moth (Abraxas grossulariata), probably my first over this way for 20+ years.
25.7- What a night to be without electricity, so took both traps to Aqualife Nursery, Poynton, with 745+ of 141+, 23 new site records, another Batia unitella, also Orthotelia sparganella, White Satin (Leucoma salicis), Grey Arches (Polia nebulosa). The site list now stands at 199 Micro-moths and 199 Macro-moths, after 31 visits.
26.7- 515 of 124, another Scallop Shell and my second only White Satin

Had another, or the same, White Satin on 28.7. Geoff tells me he had five in one trap at Cheadle Hulme on 26.7, so looks like a good year for them over this way.

Regards,
Steve

Attachments
Scallop Shell at Higher Poynton 24.7.2012
Scallop Shell at Higher Poynton 24.7.2012
Batia unitella at Poynton 25.7.2012
Batia unitella at Poynton 25.7.2012
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Steve,

Well all I can say is that you are having a much better time of it in the east then we are here ...... open mouthed at the numbers and species you've been catching over there!

For the same period here in Elton, the numbers/species have been as follows:

19-7 75 moths of 33 species
21-7 38 of 19 spp.
22-7 107 of 47 spp.
24-7 129 of 52 spp.
26-7 129 of 55 spp.
28-7 66 of 31 spp.
29-7 52 of 29 spp.

Our July total was just 137 species (214 last year) which brought our year tally to 223 (293 last year).

Cheers,
Steve