Dingy Footman (Eilema griseola)

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Dingy Footman (Eilema griseola)

Post by SteveH »

Dingy Footman (Eilema griseola):

Hi Folks,

Given the weather locally last night I almost didn't bother putting the trap on, but did in the end. Much to my surprise this morning then I was sat facing not one but two Dingy Footman Eilema griseola, a new species for our Elton Garden as well as another Small Ranunculus Hecatera dysodia for good measure.

I'd been long expecting a new footman given what's been happening elsewhere in the County (including my casually finding a Four-dotted Lithosia quadra at Hockenhull Platts last month) but never imagined for a moment that it wouldn't be Buff Footman Eilema depressa.

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Re: Dingy Footman (Eilema griseola)

Post by stevehind »

I had my first Dingy Footman in the garden in 2007, followed by singles in 2010 and 2011. It looks like it has finally established a colony, as during the past two weeks I've caught seven. Not had Buff Footman here for the past couple of years, although I did have three the last time I trapped at the local nursery.

Signs of autumn have arrived with September Thorn, Flounced Rustic, Rosy Minor and Rosy Rustic during the last couple of nights.

Regards,
Steve