Cnephasia longana (female)

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Cnephasia longana (female)

Post by SteveH »

Cnephasia longana (female):

Hi Folks,

The attached photo has given me the run around for the last day or two ...... it appears to show the wing patterning of Cnephasia - but at rest the wings were slightly rolled under, giving an altogether more narrow appearance than I'm used to seeing in that family. Be interested to hear what others think. In recent days I've also had what I have taken to be three (male) C.longana too.

In what was a surprisingly good overnight catch of 55 species, there was an additional insect looking exactly like the one in the photo (different individual though, as I still had the first one in a pot at the time!). Our first ever Pammene aurita was accompanied by another Dingy Footman , our 9th Recurvaria leucatella, along with other firsts for the year in the shape of The Olive, Least Yellow Underwing, Flounced Rustic and a Gold Spot.

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments
female Cnephasia longana Elton 12 August 2012
female Cnephasia longana Elton 12 August 2012
Last edited by SteveH on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stevehind

Re: Cnephasia longana (female) ?

Post by stevehind »

Cnephasia longana (female) ?:

I'm glad you persevered as it’s not a species which is often recorded these days. The only one I’ve seen in Cheshire VC58, was from Red Rocks in 2003. Shane Farrell had one in his Romiley garden in 2005. These are the only two recent records, prior to which is the comment by William Mansbridge (1940) that it is regarded as generally distributed and common.

There have been some good records over the weekend, with Platytes alpinella at Preston, new to NW England and Small Waved Umber (Horisme vitalbata) at Alsager, new to Cheshire.

Regards,
Steve

SteveH

Re: Cnephasia longana (female)

Post by SteveH »

Thanks Steve,

Have to say the ID has been doing my head in because of the fact we've had five insects, three males and two females and though I was reasonably confident, the comments from yesteryear and the apparent current status had me scratching about!

Prospects of another muggy evening tonight, so here's hoping for a continuance of the good run.

Rog Parry caught another Euzophera pinguis late last week in SJ37 too, and he's getting Dingy Footman (Eilema griseola) almost each time he traps - and not just one, up to four and even more some nights.

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Re: Cnephasia longana (female)

Post by stevehind »

I'm now catching 1-2 Dingy Footman every night, 15 so far this year.

Regards,
Steve