Devon Carpet and a Dart

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Devon Carpet and a Dart

Post by melbellingham »

Devon Carpet and a Dart:

Hi,

Spent a few hours with Harry Davies at RSPB Burton Mere Wetlands reserve last night, where we ran 3 traps. It was too windy to stay near to the reed-beds, so we set up in the woods. 57 species recorded including 14 micro's plus one we didn't ID. Best moth of the night was Devon Carpet, which could be the second record for Cheshire. We also had what I think is White-line Dart which would be new for the reserve, photo below, a moth I am not too familiar with. Comments appreciated.

Mothing at home still poor. While some moth-ers are now recording autumn species, I am still waiting for the summer ones to arrive. 22 species last night with an even split between macro and micro. Best moth was Bordered Pug, if pugs can ever be described as 'best moth'.

Species and numbers this year are well down on any previous year. I am even beginning to wonder where all of the Large Yellow Underwings are, with only 211 so far this year.

Mel.

Devon Carpet
Devon Carpet
Possible White-line Dart
Possible White-line Dart