Record Wildlife FREE iPhone App

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Record Wildlife FREE iPhone App

Post by stevehind »

Message from Neil Gregory below:

Dear Moth Recorder,

We've launched a new iPhone app to help people with biological recording in the UK. This app is called "Record Wildlife" and is free to download and use. It combines a GPS locator, notepad and camera to help generate biological records. I would be grateful if you were able to distribute this message amongst your wildlife recorders.

Many thanks,

Neil Gregory

droitwich@btinternet.com
http://www.recordwildlife.co.uk
fletcher

Re: Record Wildlife FREE iPhone App

Post by fletcher »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for letting us know about this app.

From what I can see this is only available on the iPhone at present?

There are a number of recording apps, that run on Google's Android operating system, out there that are also worth looking at (some paid and some free):

Project Noah
eNatureWatch (Rivers & Canals Trust)
PlantTracker
Biorecorder
LeafWatch

All can be found on the Android play store...

We too have been busy developing our own recording app for some time now and I am pleased to say that it is very nearly ready for beta testing. You couldn't guess where this was going! ;)

Our app also runs on Google's Android operating system at present.

It is based on RODIS and uses the NBN dictionaries as well as other validation rules. It can run offline and can use either the GPS or a map to to generate a grid reference; it uses Wikipedia to display images and info about the species being recorded and outputs to an Excel compatible file.

If you are interested in knowing more about the RECORD app please keep an eye on our website for more info and a release date.

Here's a quick preview (below) of what it is going to look like:

Attachments
RODIS Android app screenshots
RODIS Android app screenshots