Oak Bush Cricket Sighting

An area for archived forum posts
wirralbirder

Oak Bush Cricket Sighting

Post by wirralbirder »

Oak Bush Cricket Sighting:

Hi All,

In company with Mel Bellingham a female Oak Bush-cricket (Meconema thalassinum) was spotted by Mel on the storm affected Poplar tree at Burton Mere wetlands RSPB. In our attempt to photograph the species it jumped off my finger into the undergrowth before we managed to get a shot of it. Later in the afternoon I returned to look for any other but failed, but did notice that Oak trees were immediately behind the Poplar tree.

The species is scarce in Cheshire and this could be new for the reserve. It would be nice to know if this is the case. The record will be sent in at the end of the season.

Cheers,
H. Davies

RachelMC

Re: Oak Bush Cricket Sighting

Post by RachelMC »

The Oak Bush Cricket (Meconema thalassinum) has also been seen recently over in Styal and captured on camera by Pete, one of the Cheshire East Countryside Rangers. Here is his photo:

Attachments
Oak Bush Cricket (Meconema thalassinum) - Styal - 2015
Oak Bush Cricket (Meconema thalassinum) - Styal - 2015
wirralbirder

Post by wirralbirder »

Hi Rachel,

Sorry for the late reply. It does seem the case that the Oak Bush-cricket is more widespread than records would suggest. I first recorded it in Caldy Stapledon Wood in 2009.

Cheers,
H

macchi

Post by macchi »

Just to let you know that I have recorded Oak Bush-crickets here in Shocklach (south Cheshire) for the last few years. Don't know if there have been many sightings in this area but thought it may help for you to know about mine.

Alison