Cheshire Bee Recording Group

Post by RachelMC »

Cheshire Bee Recording Group

Below are details of our upcoming bee recording days;

Tuesday 9th July - Cleaver Heath (am)
Wednesday 17th July - Chester Zoo grounds
Saturday 20th July - Norton Priory
Saturday 10th August - Hilbre Island

If you would like to join us on any of the above days please let me know and I will send you further information.

Many thanks, Leanna (leanna@record-lrc.co.uk)

A note from Chloe Aldridge;
Hi all, I thought you might be interested to see some photos (here) of one of the highlights of our recording day at the Countess of Chester Country Park in May - a Tree bumblebee nest which was inside a hedge about 4' off the ground, and seemed to be inside an old bird's nest. The bumblebees (Bombus hypnorum) were very active coming and going. They are a bit easier to spot nesting than other bumblebees as they are one of only a few bumblebees in this country which will nest in trees/high up as opposed to on or underground. I have also included some photos of the great solitary bee nesting habitat where we found a number of species on Chester Meadows - the sandy river banks, which had been 'improved' for the bees by erosion, with some obvious help from digging dogs! Hope to see you at the next recording day next Tuesday, at Cleaver Heath on the Wirral. Heathland is a very different habitat than where we've been so far, and really great for lots of bee species! Chloe.