A plea!

An area for archived forum posts
andrewjcharlton

A plea!

Post by andrewjcharlton »

As a garden moth recorder for two decades, this year I've started taking more of an interest in the various species of bees and wasps that visit my garden 'bee-friendly' flower patch. I would like to identify and record what I see here and elsewhere. While it is clear that identification is often not possible from photographs alone, I have looked in vain for help with the identification of the species I find.

The Moths forum on this site gives a very good example of mutual support, with experienced observers giving patient help and encouragement both to novice moth observers and to others with more difficult identification problems too.

Looking at this forum, requests for identification help get left unanswered. I got no response either from directly emailing the moderator of this forum. I've tried putting photos up on ispotnature.org but these quickly get buried by the mass of photos across the whole 'nature' spectrum. The recent Field Guide (Falk) makes a plea for more amateur recorders to get involved. But where is the help for them to do this?

Is there anybody out there willing to help newcomers?

Andrew
RachelMC

Re: A plea!

Post by RachelMC »

Hi Andrew,
I've checked the Moderator of this Forum who is listed as "beeman" - a member since 2008 but appears not to have posted here since!

However, many recorders of this species group use the Facebook Public Group "UK Bees, Wasps and Ants" (there are over 9,000 members) and I suggest it would be better to use that instead for ID purposes (I may create a Sticky Post to direct there)

We kept these forums open since they were first created, although many are not in active use for identification (Moths is an exceptional example!); however, posts are made from time to time on associated issues.

I hope this helps you
Rachel
(RECORD Volunteer)