BMIG Week - Dundreggan, Scotland - September 2011

An area for archived forum posts
SteveMcBill

BMIG Week - Dundreggan, Scotland - September 2011

Post by SteveMcBill »

BMIG Week - Dundreggan, Scotland - S:eptember 2011:

Whilst I was at Dundreggan in Glen Moriston it was mentioned that some naturalists from Liverpool have already been involved in recording on the estate. I mentioned that the British Myriapod and Isopod Group (BMIG) hold field meetings and Trees for Life have offered the use of the comfortable lodge, which is a 70's bungalow to BMIG from the 10th to the 17th of September 2011. The field visit is being organised by Glyn Collis who lives on Bute and presently there are some 6/7 millipede/woodlice folk intending to participate.

I don't know whether your network includes some budding enthusiasts but I think Glyn would be happy to include one or two more people. I am not able to join the first weekend but plan to go up probably 13th September. The estate has only been managed by TFL for 3 years and there is a big push to fully evaluate the existing habitats and only selectively increase native species woodland which already includes extensive juniper and some montane dwarf birch. Anyway if you think there might some interest let me know.

Joan Fairhurst
joanfairhurst007@btinternet.com
anno

Re: BMIG Week - Dundreggan, Scotland - September 2011

Post by anno »

Can thoroughly recommend this if you are thinking about it. You need to be relatively fit (then again I got away with it!) but the site is wonderful and some great species including Black Grouse and incredible Wood Ant (Formica lugubris) populations - I took a party of students up there from Burnley College and managed to show them a young Golden Eagle rising up to display at a passing EuroFighter!

Good Veggie food and a great sense of achievement and a definite sense that you have done something positive!

Go - you'll love it, my lot have actually said since that the experience was life changing!

PS: Don't have your butties on a big comfy looking mound in the woods - those Ants can be painful!