Plant Identification

An area for archived forum posts
RachelMC

Plant Identification

Post by RachelMC »

My first post here! I was reading the latest Friends of the Meadows Newsletter (River Dee meadows in Chester) and saw that a photo was included asking for identification of a plant found on Water Company land on the meadows. Nobody in the RECORD office could identify (perhaps a vetch?) Here's the photo:

[EDIT: photo re-uploaded as a high-res image 18/10/2010]
Attachments
Plant Identification Requested.JPG
Last edited by RachelMC on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveMcBill

Re: Plant Identification

Post by SteveMcBill »

I could do with a larger photo so that I could zoom in and attempt to see details BUT to me it looks like:-

Betony (Stachys officinalis), also referred to as Purple betony, Wood betony or Bishop's wort. It is a perennial grassland herb growing to 70cm tall. Its leaves are stalked on upright stems, narrowly oval, with a heart-shaped base, with a somewhat wrinkled texture and toothed margins. The calyx is 5-7mm long, with 5 teeth, edged with bristles. The corolla 1-1.5cm long. Its upper lip flat, almost straight when seen from the side. The anthers stick straight out. It flowers in mid summer from July to September, and is found in dry grassland, meadows and open woods in most of Europe, western Asia and North Africa. In the British Isles it is common in England and Wales, but rare in Ireland and northern Scotland.

The name Betony is alleged to derive from the Celtic word bewton ("good for the head"). The first reference to it occurs in a work by the Roman physician Antonius Musa, who claimed it as effective against sorcery. Later it was claimed to be effective against snake and dog bites, and against drunkenness. It was planted in churchyards to prevent activity by ghosts.

Modern herbalists prescribe Betony to treat anxiety, gallstones, heartburn, high blood pressure, Migraine and Neuralgia, and to prevent sweating. It can also be used as an ointment for cuts and sores. Not all of these uses are supported by scientific evidence.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Tom

Post by Tom »

Here's another one for someone to have a go at. This one appears very much like a Crocus but was flowering in September. It was growing out of a crack in a rock on Gibraltar (photo was taken on holiday).

Any help would be much appreciated. The photo was taken more with artistic merit in mind rather than identification, so unfortunately the leaves are not visible, nor is the overall size of the plant - although it appeared the same size as a crocus as well.

Tom
Attachments
Gibraltar flower.jpg
Tom Hunt, Record Enquiries Officer
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Tom,

I don't know much (actually I don't know anything) about Gibraltan flowers but to me it looks like an Autumnal Crocus (Colchicum autumnale). See over at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicum_autumnale

Steve
RachelMC

Post by RachelMC »

SteveMcBill wrote:...to me it looks like:-

Betony (Stachys officinalis), also referred to as Purple betony, Wood betony or Bishop's wort. ...

Hope that helps.

Steve
Thanks a lot, Steve. I'll pass that on.
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

SteveMcBill is quite correct. Well done!
Graeme
RachelMC

Post by RachelMC »

I have edited my original post and replaced the photo with a high-res image. It certainly matches the description of betony. Thanks again!