Four Beetles

An area for archived forum posts
rogerwilkinson

Four Beetles

Post by rogerwilkinson »

Four Beetles:

My last post was added to that of Harry as a photo of a Golden Bloomed Grey Longhorn Beetle from near Stoak. Since that I have seen a post elsewhere of the same species from Frodsham Marsh.

Below is a photo of Common Soldier Beetles - and I am asking for confirmation/refutation in case of similar species.

Common Soldier Beetle - 13 July 2016 - Hockenhull Platts
Common Soldier Beetle - 13 July 2016 - Hockenhull Platts
Then a photo of a brown beetle at Burton Mere, which I think may perhaps be a different species to the one below of a similar looking beetle I caught in my light trap at Upton Chester. I would appreciate any help with the identification of these two please.
Brown Beetle sp. - 10 July 2016 - Burton Mere RSPB
Brown Beetle sp. - 10 July 2016 - Burton Mere RSPB
Brown Beetle to ID - 05 July 2016 - Upton-by-Chester
Brown Beetle to ID - 05 July 2016 - Upton-by-Chester
And finally a tiny green metallic beetle also from Burton Mere that again I would appreciate help with as to its ID.
Green Beetle - 10 July 2016 - Burton Mere RSPB
Green Beetle - 10 July 2016 - Burton Mere RSPB
Thank you.

[/color]
DonSten

Re: Four Beetles

Post by DonSten »

Hello Roger,

Thanks for your post - we don't get a lot these days.

The top image shows Rhagonycha fulva which is very common as you say, so you are right about that.
That black tip to the elytra is diagnostic.
Incidentally, you may not know that this species has been called the 'Hogweed Bonking Beetle' and your excellent photograph - I enlarged it to see what the other insects are - encapsulates that.

The next two show Lagria hirta, which is very common and feeds on nectar and pollen.

The last one appears to be our old friend Agelastica alni the 'Alder Leaf Beetle' - probably the most recorded beetle in Cheshire - but to be sure I'd appreciate you posting any images taken from another angle. Incidentally, it doesn't look green to me, rather a deep blue, which is characteristic of A. alni.

Can you enter these records using RODIS please, and then I can 'officially' verify them.
Or, failing that, I'll put them in, although I'm a bit pushed at present identifying lots of beetles.

Keep em coming Roger !

Cheers,
Don

rogerwilkinson

Re: Four Beetles

Post by rogerwilkinson »

Dear Don,

Thank you for this which is very helpful and very much appreciated. Great to have a reply as I have posted on a number of other RECORD forums without receiving any replies.

Love your name of "Hogweed Bonking Beetle" - there were at least three pairs caught en flagrante in my other pics but these were not as sharp as the one I posted. Have also seen them on other plants including Hemlock Water Dropwort and Spear Thistle. You mention looking to see what the other insects may be . Were you able to ID any ? I have some Diptera photos I am still trying to ID. Am I likely to get a response on the Diptera Forum, I had none to a recent post there but it was regarding a Chironomid Midge ! :)

Am unsure as to the tiny beetles being blue as I distinctly remember green but that is maybe just my eyes at fault. Also looking at photo looks like these are on Bramble rather than Alder. Tried to find these beetles again at BMW (Burton Mere ) today to get some shots from different angles but couldn't find them but did find some similar looking beetles which will post on separately.

Thank you.
Roger