moths for ID and confirmation

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
bobhelencoan

moths for ID and confirmation

Post by bobhelencoan »

Good night Thursday 430 moths! mostly Large yellow underwings and small grass moths. However we did get Pebble prominent and poplar kitten which are not regulars for us. Also lots of micros which have taken a while to sort through.
The one causing the most problem was what we initially thought to be yet another leek moth which has appeared this year for the first time and seems to suggest a local infestation somewhere. However paying note to advice to look closely at the heads we realised this was a tortrix species. Closest we can come to is notocelia teragonana which is rare for Cheshire. We have retained in case.
We also think we had Eudonia pallida, Catoptria paludella .
We hope the pug shows enough detail to be confirmed as a slender pug.
Help and comments welcome. Bob & Helen
Attachments
unknown Notocelia?
unknown Notocelia?
Eudonia pallida
Eudonia pallida
Catoptria paludella
Catoptria paludella
Slender pug?
Slender pug?
bobhelencoan

Re: moths for ID and confirmation

Post by bobhelencoan »

Looking at the pug photo more carefully now think it is a maple pug. Bob & Helen
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Bob & Helen
Notocelia tetragonana is unfamiliar to me, so I would need to have a closer look at that one.
Agree Eudonia pallida
Next is Catoptria falsella
Regards
Steve
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Thanks Steve.
Must have mixed the two moths up when I miss named the grass moth.
Do you think it worth me posting the image of the Notocelia? moth on Facebook? Are there any others it might be?
Thanks again Helen & Bob
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

You could try posting it onto the Facebook UK Micro Moth Identification Group in case someone nationally is familiar with the species, although even then it would still be a judgement call as to if or not to accept the record. The only way to be sure would be to retain the moth and have it dissected.
Regards
Steve
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

I have retained the moth and will send it to you if that is ok. Might try the Facebook page you suggested but I will have to learn how to upload photos. Helen & Bob
GasMacc1

Post by GasMacc1 »

Hi Bob and Helen,

Do you think Pammene spiniana might be a candidate?

Are the squares 5mm in the background? If so, that would be about the right size.

I've spotted a photo on lepiforum that looks very similar. I'll post it if I can.

I'd invite comments from others, as it would be only the third record in Cheshire, if I'm reading the charts correctly.

I'll reply to your facebook post, as well, in case that bumps a response from the national community!

Cheers,
Dave.
GasMacc1

Post by GasMacc1 »

Pammene spiniana from lepiforum.de
Pammene spiniana from lepiforum.de
Pammene spiniana.png (106.69 KiB) Viewed 7786 times
GasMacc1

Post by GasMacc1 »

Mmmm...this is rarer than it looked at first sight. Guidelines say that a photo is enough, but Norfolk and Hampshire say gen det required, and give it as Nationally Scarce B.

I was put off the scent of your original suggestion (Notocelia tetragonana) because the first photos I looked at had a regular line of contrasting light and dark strigulae, whereas your moth is darker, with less obvious markings. However, I've since seen other photos which are closer to your picture.

Notocelia tetragonana is Nationally Scarce A, so either candidate is notable!
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Many thanks for your suggestion, Looks a possibility. I will be sending said specimen to Steve Hind for dissection. Lets hope some more folk will look at the photo and help with the ID. Bob & helen
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

This is a female Pammene spiniana, with the last and only detailed record from Nunsmere on 1st August 1990.

Regards
Steve