Difficulty Connecting to the Forum

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Difficulty Connecting to the Forum

Post by melbellingham »

While I'm in 'moaning mood' I have a question for other users, which might help me sort out a problem.

The problem might be my lack of computer ability or a fault with my computer.

For a while now I have been finding it difficult to connect to this website. The problem can persist and I give up, or it can take several minutes to get a connection. When I do connect it can be very slow.

I did contact the centre by email about the problem, but never heard back, however the problem disappeared for a while.

Do any other members of the website have the same problem, or is it me?

Mel.
JulianB

Re: Difficulty Connecting to the Forum

Post by JulianB »

I've not had a real problem connecting Mel, even using the connections on our trains.... I take it the rest of the sites you visit are still loading OK?

When using slower connections I found the larger photos were tedious to load. I tend to compress my photos in Word before uploading them, partly to upload them faster, and partly so those without superfast broadband can view them easier.

Cheers, Julian
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Julian.

Thanks for your reply.

I do not have superfast broadband, but I do not have a problem with other websites I visit.

I use Photoshop to crop and reduce the file size of my photographs, and don't have a problem loading them,

The problem arises when I try to connect to the website. It can fail (I sometimes get a message stating that the website didn't respond in time) or it can be very slow to connect and then remains slow when in use. It is not all the time, but it is annoying when it does happen.

Perhaps other users do have superfast broadband, and it is only a problem for me.

Thanks again,
Mel.
MothNoggin

Post by MothNoggin »

Hi Both
Just for info really, but I've noticed problems accessing the site from time to time similar to Mel. Some nights I just give up and try the next day. Occasionally it has been over an entire weekend.
Recently I noticed a problem accessing, then eventually after a couple of days it worked ok, but I noticed one forum recipient had the 'spam' attack and I wondered if that was relevant.
Cheers
Nev
RachelMC

Post by RachelMC »

Hi, I'm aware that the site server has been down on occasions recently, so that may account for the problem. Eric has also been on leave so hasn't been around to fix stuff! Hopefully, you should find it a bit more stable now.

The access problems shouldn't be linked to the spammers (who will have the same difficulties!) I log in twice a week to clear them out :)

Rachel (Volunteer)
mikew

Post by mikew »

Hi
I am finding it very slow to connect this morning
I did have a similar problem a few weeks ago
I don't think it's down to the broadband speed as it's always slow here

Regards, Mike
JulianB

Post by JulianB »

After I first said this hadn't happened to us - it now has. About half the times I try to access the forum, it now doesn't load.

Thanks, Julian