First trap for this month

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
bobhelencoan

First trap for this month

Post by bobhelencoan »

Finally managed to put the trap out on Saturday and was rewarded with a Yellow lined quaker, Black rustic and 4 November moth agg among 16 moths of 11 species. We would appreciate confirmation for two micros. Phyllonorycter leucographella and Scrobipalpa costello. Any other possibilities we should consider?
Is there anyway to possibly distinguish between November moth and Autumnal moth? It seems a pity to not know what species we have in our locality. Bob & Helen
Attachments
Phyllonorycter leucographella?
Phyllonorycter leucographella?
Scrobipalpa costello?
Scrobipalpa costello?
November moth agg
November moth agg
bobhelencoan

Re: First trap for this month

Post by bobhelencoan »

Posted two micros for confirmation back in October. Can anyone help so I can complete our records for Dave. Thanks Helen & Bob
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Bob & Helen
Your Phyllonorycter looks to be OK. The Gelechiid may be too worn to ID from a photo.
I don't mind checking a few Epirrita if none have previously been confirmed from a site, although I can only do males. Best to save a few spread out over the season, as that way there is a good chance of recording both November and Autumnal and maybe even a Pale November.
Regards
Steve
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Thanks Steve. We had a go at brushing off the scales off the november moth agg: to see if we could identify it. Without success. Have no specimens from this year perhaps 2021.
Still have some leaf mines to sort out but records will be with Dave soon.
Many thanks for your continued help and support during the year. Have a safe Christmas and hopefully a more normal 2021. Bob & Helen