Some recent garden moths

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
PaulHopkins

Some recent garden moths

Post by PaulHopkins »

The nights of 28th and 31st May produced bumper catches in my garden, 50-odd species each night. Here are some interesting ones (as usual, my photos won't win any prizes!)

A beautiful Geometrid, one turns up here every year or two. Maybe my beech hedge helps.
Clay Triple-lines
Clay Triple-lines
Tiny and shines like a jewel. Photos can't do it justice.
Argyresthia glaucinella
Argyresthia glaucinella
Appears earlier than its more common lookalike, Cydia splendana. (Incidentally I may well have got some of these IDs wrong, please let me know if I've made any howlers!)
Cydia fagiglandana
Cydia fagiglandana
Presumably Ephestia woodiella - I'll try dissecting this one to confirm.
Ephestia sp
Ephestia sp
Attracted to the ALS pheremone lure for this species. Apparently G. tenebrosana also comes to this lure, so another for microscopic examination.
Grapholita funebrana/tenebrana?
Grapholita funebrana/tenebrana?
Also attracted to the G. funebrana lure. I've seen reports of Pammene argyrana being attracted to this lure, but Steve Hind suggested Epinotia immundana as a possibility for another of these from a few days ago and has kindly offered to dissect it in the Autumn. I'll have a go at this one - if I get any more, I'll leave them be!
Pammene argyrana?
Pammene argyrana?
I never manage to ID these without help, though I've had a couple before. Must come from the wetland areas in Dibbinsdale LNR, which my garden backs on to.
Silky Wainscot
Silky Wainscot
A new one for me.
Sycamore
Sycamore
I've had a couple of these this year. A really attractive micro, not really apparent in pics.
Teleiodes luculella
Teleiodes luculella
Found dead in the trap. Haven't got a clue on this one!
Unknown Micro
Unknown Micro
Cheers
Paul
stevehind

Re: Some recent garden moths

Post by stevehind »

Hi Paul
Your Grapholita resembles janthinana with the orange tinge to the cilia and your last photo resembles Strophedra weirana.
Regards
Steve
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

I’ve finally got round to examining my Grapholita from 28/5/20. Despite the orange tinged cilia, I’m pretty sure it’s funebrana, the only thing that troubles me a bit is that the one remaining labial palp looks white, at least from from the side (though it’s darker from underneath), which seems to be a feature of tenebrosana. I reckon both the apparently orange cilia and the pale palp might be artefacts of my low quality iPhone photography.

I had another 3 on 23/6/20, also all males and very similar to this one.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
97B863CF-D677-4FC1-B61B-70E5329396D1.jpeg
AAEC55C7-0B97-4D06-A402-35319001AC42.jpeg
AB553B3C-A5A8-422A-9FDD-155B8A7A9A15.jpeg
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Yes Paul, Grapholita funebrana, a nice find
Regards
Steve