ID help with a grass moth please

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
JohnD

ID help with a grass moth please

Post by JohnD »

I've been trapping at a wet grassland site - lots of reed with some meadowsweet and next to a woodland. Caught this moth on 26-7-21. I think, looking at the characters on https://britishlepidoptera.weebly.com/a ... tella.html and on the 'Common Grass Moths of Berkshire' ID guide that this is Agriphila selasella rather than Agriphila tristella. The colour of the meadian streak of moth is white rather than yellow (though A. tristella has white forms), the median streak is not constricted at 1/3 or even 1/2, and breaks into two fingers rather than 4. If I'm understanding the texts correctly there is also no subterminal line. However, A.selasella is very 'local and scarce except Dee saltmarsh, where plentiful' according to the Cheshire moth atlas - so I'm wondering if I have misread the characters. Be very grateful for comments.

John
Attachments
Agriphila selasella or tristella?
Agriphila selasella or tristella?
JulianB

Re: ID help with a grass moth please

Post by JulianB »

You're looking good for selasella there John. Looking at the distribution in Cheshire it does sound abundant on the Dee Estuary but is also found in other locations across the county. It's hard to argue with your photo!
Regards, Julian
JohnD

Re: ID help with a grass moth please

Post by JohnD »

Thanks Julian. I'm still very green at ID, so confirmation is very gratefully received.

John