Interesting night...

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Interesting night...

Post by SteveH »

Interesting night...:

Hi Folks,

Trapping last night was uninteresting until three or four eggboxes from the end, when I had to pot up an unknown micro ..... then another ..... then another, until I had four to consider, three of which looked the same. The fourth is pictured - and I'm still uncertain as to what it is. Having to be out early and not being home until late has left no time for photographing the other three, but at the moment I'm homing in on Cnephasia longana though its by no means a certain ID. Hopefully I can get a photo in the morning and post thereafter.

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments
unknown micro Elton 9th August 2012
unknown micro Elton 9th August 2012
stevehind

Re: Interesting night...

Post by stevehind »

Hi Steve,

Spilonata, probably ocellana, unless there is larch nearby, in which case S.laricana would be worth considering. Spilonota laricana has a narrower forewing, although that is difficult to tell from a photo.

Regards,
Steve

SteveH

Re: Interesting night...

Post by SteveH »

Hi Steve,

I've had a few S.ocellana in the last week or so but this looked different to me and I'd considered S.laricana as a possibility. No larch in the vicinity that I'm aware of though so best to consider it as indeterminate and wait for the next one.

Cheers,
Steve