Leaf mines...Phyllonorycter salictella

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Leaf mines...Phyllonorycter salictella

Post by SteveH »

Leaf mines ..... Phyllonorycter salictella

Morning folks,

Some more queries following leaf-mining yesterday on my local patch .......

The leaf-curls on Willow look as if they might be Phyllonorycter viminetorum or Phyllonorycter salictella, and though I'm aware of the similar looking galls made by Rabdophaga marginemtorquens I don't think they are of the latter .....; the other photo is of some rather nice looking feeding evidence, which I thought peculiar enough to include here on the off-chance there's something known to feed in this manner!

I also found two 'Phyllonorycter folds' on Whitebeam (which was also littered with Lyonetia clerkella mines), which initially pointed to P. mespilella but which appeared to have a single fold rather than many, so again I'm unsure as to what they might be.

Any offers gratefully accepted!

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments
Feeding pattern of Epinotia abbreviana SJ4473 20th September 2012
Feeding pattern of Epinotia abbreviana SJ4473 20th September 2012
Leafmine of Phyllonorycter salictella SJ4272 20th October 2012 (2)
Leafmine of Phyllonorycter salictella SJ4272 20th October 2012 (2)
Leafmine of Phyllonorycter salictella SJ4272 20th October 2012 (1)
Leafmine of Phyllonorycter salictella SJ4272 20th October 2012 (1)
Last edited by SteveH on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevehind

Re: Leaf mines...Phyllonorycter viminetorum or salictella?

Post by stevehind »

Hi Steve,

Phyllonorycter viminetorum appears to be restricted to Osier (Salix viminalis), whereas your leaves look more like Crack Willow (Salix fragilis), making your mines Phyllonorycter salictella. Your other photo is a good example of the feeding signs of Epinotia abbreviana. The larvae live inside developing Elm (Ulmus sp.) buds in the spring, feeding on the leaves, which show this characteristic pattern when expanded.

Regards,
Steve

SteveH

Re: Leaf mines...Phyllonorycter salictella

Post by SteveH »

Thanks again Steve,

Epinotia abbreviana is the first time I've recorded the species in Cheshire, so is obviously new for my local patch too.

Cheers,
Steve