A Meal Moth??

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
fletcher

A Meal Moth??

Post by fletcher »

Hello all,

I found this moth the week before last in a warm room at work and I was wondering whether my fumbled id is actually correct??

Is the moth in the attached picture a Meal Moth (Pyralis farinalis) ?

Any advice very welcome!

Thanks

Eric
Attachments
IMG_4762.JPG
SteveMcBill

Re: A Meal Moth??

Post by SteveMcBill »

Hi Eric,

Yes indeed - that IS Pyralis farinalis (Meal Moth) - the caterpillars of this moth are often a pest on stored grain products and as the Zoo must store a fair bit of grain as feed for a number of different animal types it has probably come from such stores. I have had this moth in houses before where the larvae have been accidentally brought in with bird seed bought for pet birds (Budgies, etc.) - if unchecked the larvae will consume all sorts of things (Weetabix, Cornflakes, Bread and many other grain products as well as soup powder, flour, etc.)

For another photo or two of this species check over at:

http://www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~don/lar ... rinal.html

Cheers

Steve McWilliam
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Another species often found as a pest indoors and which will feed on stored grain products and dried fruit is the Indian Meal Moth (Plodia interpunctella). This can be seen over at:

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=1479

Steve :)
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

Thanks Steve, do you know I was looking at the specimen trying to decide where to start and I thought well it looks like a pyralid moth, I then consciously thought a what??!!

All I can say is that the many times I have been fortunate enough to get surveying experience with you is really paying off. I must say though, I have no idea what differentiates a pyralid from any other moth! A lucky guess!!!

Thanks again Steve,

Eric